Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gonna be a great year

Ok, yes, it's hectic with the meetings and the preparations. But I must say, the Superintendent's welcome speech at the beginning of today's institute & general district meeting was GREAT! He showed us these two awesome videos to get us pumped up! I love the first one. (Momma T at 3:30!)



The superintendent's main point was that we need to forget about the bad press from the media or the lack of budget and just remember that we, as teachers, are just ordinary people doing extraordinary things! And so are our kids!
---



The more I think about making a difference in my students' lives and helping them believe in themselves, the more PUMPED UP I am getting! Let's just see how that pans out in a couple of weeks after class gets started. haha

-EDIT-

So, after reading this again, I realized how terribly corny it sounds. Haha. But I think that to a certain extent, we have to keep all of that corny and seemingly idealistic stuff in our minds and at the forefront of what we're doing as teachers to help keep the bigger picture in mind. Does anyone agree? Or am I being sucked up into a silly world of idealism?

2 comments:

  1. No, I think a certain amount of corniness/idealism is essential as a teacher. Otherwise, you burn out, and you're the teacher complaining about how these damn kids just don't want to learn! Then you're no good to anybody.

    The truth is that it's easy to slip into that jaded mode. I'm trying to remember that we really do have enormous potential to change kids' lives. Today at our in-service, somebody said something to the effect of "in 10 years, your students won't remember most of the content of your class, but they will remember how you made them feel." We can do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the people I have looked up to in my life have been my teachers. As corny as it may sound,the ideal isn't crazy-it's true! I like the quotation Glenn wrote. Even if you may feel like you're not reaching them some days, you never know how God is using you to touch their lives and hearts. At least He did in my life with my teachers!
    P.S. From your buzz's it sounds like your week is going well! Yay! So glad to hear that- love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete