Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kvetching

kvetch

\ KVECH \ , intransitive verb;
1.
To complain habitually

*Disclaimer* Today's Dictionary.com Word of the Day was "kvetch." I have been in a kvetching frame of mind this week, so this seemed awfully appropriate. I don't like to complain in an non-constructive way, but it's kvetch day! Please forgive me, and let's hope I can get this funk out of my system.

*Begin Kvetching*

This week, after sixteen weeks of marching band season (ten weeks of school), I really feel like I lost it. Overtired, haven't seen boyfriend or family in a month, running a three-ring circus as my job (read: totally in over my head). Waking up early, commuting to work, 5 competitions (hosted 1), 5 home football games, two parades, two long weekends that weren't (a parade+IMEA).

Living alone, being the only band director in my district, and moving far from home sometimes allow me to sink too much into my neuroses. The stress buildup has peaked. I even went to the pet store and held baby bunnies as a possible source of company/entertainment. I have spent this week trying to bury myself in comfort food (mac n cheese twice in a week is a bit excessive), watching a minimum of 3 hours of TV/night, and hiding from reality about as much as possible with the unrealistic hope that I'll step outside having finished my first year of teaching. I know I can improve from now to next week, but I will be much more able to teach with the end in mind next year. Teaching is haaaaard.

*End Kvetching*







6 comments:

  1. I think we are living the same life....right on down to the pet store...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so sorry, emma!! you WILL get through this. it will only get better!!

    DIDBA this weekend for sure. we need to cheer you up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,
    Don't give up. Teaching music can be very isolating in a rural area. I'm so glad to see your peers reaching out to you after you posted this. Hang on to each other and lift each other up. It's hard but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts exactly- I get wildly frustrated with spinning my wheels, and then find myself headed home to an empty house for weeks at a time. I have faith that it will get better; I do enjoy teaching music, now I just have to figure out how to enjoy everything else :)

    Something to brighten your day: I was calling up recordings to play as examples for my Jr. High Band. I had to use JW Pepper for one, to which my bright-eyed 7th grade student said, "HA HA HA!! JW PEPPER! That sounds like a gangster. Or a rapper. Like it's DJ W-Pepper."

    Don't forget to laugh, either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I really appreciate the support. I am having a much better week, and my students even placed Second in their class at the parade competition on Saturday. Lady Gaga Bad Romance for the (almost) win!!

    The best thing about marching band being over is that I have moved my classes all into the same building so I no longer migrate. My high schoolers just walk over to the middle school. A huge plus of this arrangement is that I am able to take my lunch in the middle school teacher's lounge. I ate lunch with other teachers more this week than I have in the entire year combined because I don't waste my plan time walking between my buildings. And the middle school teachers are super fun and actually talk to me! (Unlike the grumpy high school teachers... what's up with that?) Things are on the up again for now :)

    ReplyDelete