Sunday, October 10, 2010

Little Victories, Small Catastrophes

Things really are getting better, bit by bit. I'm just going to toss out some recent highlights and low points from the past few weeks. In about a week and a half, I'll be writing a full blown post on my second take on teaching some improvisation concepts through Radiohead's "The National Anthem" in jazz band. Until then, however, pardon my randomness.

Victories:

I have been following David Newell's prescription for rhythmic independence pretty strictly since day one, and I have noticed significant improvement in most students. His method is based on the Pestalozzian principle of the thing before the sign. Say you want to pass out a tune that has dotted quarter note rhythms. Newell would suggest that a few weeks before you pass out the song, follow this process, spending just about 2 minutes per day:

1) Perform the rhythm. Using a call and response format (I call it My Turn/Your Turn), simply have your students perform the rhythm. Do this for a few days.

2) Count the rhythm. Newell likes to teach his kids that all rhythms have secret hidden lyrics known as counting words. Have the students perform the rhythm by singing it on "du" using call and response. Next, do the same rhythm again, except with its counting words, such as "1 and 3 4." Do this for a few days. Eventually you get to the point where you say the rhythm on "du" or "tu" and the students respond with the counting words.

3) See the rhythm. Make rhythm flash cards with the rhythm written in large font on it. Continue to sing, play on instruments, and use counting words on these rhythms, but each time students go, hold up the flashcards so students can begin to make the connection between the rhythm pattern they already know how to play and the notated pattern that they are seeing.

4) Apply it. After a week and a half or so of this process, students should be able to nail this in the piece. If they can't, keep working on it.

5) Understand it. At this point, you can get into the specifics of rhythm trees and note durations, etc. This comes last, not first.

I'm going to keep this up with the idea that we can become more and more independent in our rhythm reading to spend more time on music. (Of course, this approach doesn't work if you have a group of percussion boys who are determined to not even look up during this exercise. That back row can't read a lick, and it's a shame that they don't participate in this activity geared towards helping them read the music in front of them.)

-Speaking of that, I get percussion lessons with my 6th graders once a week, and we had our first one this past Wednesday. We went straight into rhythm tree and counting stuff and I had them write in the counting to their band music and an easy snare drum etude I pulled up. Hopefully this blossoms into something!

-Beginners started two weeks ago, and if nothing else, I have pretty nice instrumentation. 3 flutes, 5 clarinets, 1 oboe, 1 sax, 3 horns, 9 trumpets, 7 trombones, 2 baritones, and 1 tuba. Yes, no percussion. I have had such a tough time with my JH Band percussionists, that I wanted to give myself a chance to get a better grip on teaching percussion before I start a few next year.

I'm a brass player by nature, so I feel really comfortable helping brass players sound great, and my brass players are strong already. I'm seeking to feel as comfortable on diagnosing and solving woodwind problems. Workin' on it!

-I have a handful of kids who, for one reason or another, just need a heck of a lot attention. They are constantly by my side, in my office, raising their hand, sitting by me on the bus, and just telling me all sorts of random stuff. It's easy to get frustrated, especially when they all compete against each other for my attention and speak at the same time. I am trying really hard to just love these boys, however. Mr. Clark's comment the other day about the importance of character education really resonated within me.

Here's an example, with a 5th grade baritone player who plays alright, but he is a real space cadet. I do know, however, that his dad lives in another state and his mom just got out of jail. He really needs some attention and love.

The other day, he stayed after school to practice, and he played for a few minutes and then was running around, playing football with another kid outside. Instead of yelling at him and telling him to practice some more, I thought the best thing I could do for him was to do some good, solid, guy stuff. So I tossed the football around with him for a few minutes and waited with him until his grandma came to pick him up. I know that he rarely gets that kind of special attention from a positive male role model, so it was a feel good moment for me, and I hope it was for him, too.

-I had some kids initiate a "Clean Up the Uniform Room" afternoon the other day, which was awesome to see. I love kids taking some ownership about the state of the band program.

-I got to put away the marching percussion on Saturday after our last parade! I was elated.

Catastrophes:

- I am still having difficulty with my pacing. I often feel like class happens to me instead of me running class. Many times, I'll forget to check the time, make certain announcements, pass certain things out, etc. I'm working on slowing down the teaching process so that it doesn't feel like such a whirlwind.

-I still have lots of 8th graders and a few 7th graders who have not at all bought into me and what I hope to do with the band. They are fighting everything and intentionally ruining some things. I'm not sure if it's a case of me being the new guy they don't know or ineffective teaching or classroom management, or just breaking bad behavior habits.

-I had a parade about a month ago where we arrived too early and we just cooked in the sun for 2 hours before stepping off. We were dead tired before we even started. Yesterday, however, at our last parade, we arrived a tad late and stepped off about 2 minutes after lining up! I am still getting the logistics of dragging a gaggle of middle schoolers across the state down.

-The best student in my band wants to quit. He's an 8th grade trumpet player who got a D on his progress report because he did 1 out of 5 listening assignments and failed to turn in many other things. I have given him an opportunity to make up the lost points, but he hasn't even told me that he wants to do so. He very well could quit, but he might even get an F as well. I've talked with his folks and with him, but no progress at all yet. I am clueless. I just don't know the best way to approach the situation in a way that reaches out to this student so that he doesn't miss out on a chance for music education, but still does not compromise my principles as a teacher.

Anyway, that's a mouthful. After our jazz band concert, I'll update on our "National Anthem" project.

2 comments:

  1. Glenn,
    I am so impressed with your rhythm teaching, and I hope that it is really a magic bullet for your students in learning their literature. I am not doing such a great job with that right now in that I am spending TOO much time on rhythms. My kids are burnt out. I discovered Newell a little too late, and I may integrate his approach next year... or in a few weeks.

    I loved your story about playing catch with your baritone player. Those one-on-one moments with kids can be so special. I know that I need to keep working to form positive relationships with students. Especially since I don't have pullout lessons, I feel like my students don't get to see the real me. They only see my podium personality, which can get a bit grumpy at times. I love working with students who stay after school.

    Great post, Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emma!

    In all fairness, I should inform that I had my first rough moment with the Newell system, although it was my fault in the implementation of it, not the system itself.

    We had been doing steps 1 & 2 off and on for 2 weeks, then I tried to jump into "look & play," and it was like we had never seen those rhythms before in our lives. I was SO disappointed (they are not tricky rhythms, just dotted quarter eighth quarter quarter). Moral of the story - you HAVE to be consistent with it. 2 minutes a day will do the trick.

    Reading story number 2: I started introducing notation today with my beginning band groups. I tried using a rhythm tree with blocks under neath the notes to signify beats, and I had kids fill out 4 out of 4 blocks for a whole note, 2 out of 4 for a half note, etc. And it just completely sucked. After subjecting my poor trombones and flutes to that, I changed it all up for my baritone and horns. Voila1 Way better results. I'll probably go into more detail on that later. Moral of that story - 1) experience is the best teacher, 2) be flexible, 3) keep it simple, stupid.

    I find myself more than anything else wishing we had a "Beginning Band" class in college. 'Cause I feel like I'm working on really elaborate blueprints for a wheel right now.

    ReplyDelete