Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pleasant Surprises

As a first year teacher with a lot of plates spinning, I sometimes put off things that a. require lots of planning b. might be unpopular or c. I don't know how to do just yet. First quarter ends this week, and I have yet to really do any assessment with my middle schoolers. I was daunted because I have a full band with no pull out lessons. How do you do a performance assessment in a class of 48 kids? I have heard of people doing video or audio recording in a practice room with some success, but I just didn't get it together because it required prior planning and I didn't see my students jumping on board (and I'm not exactly popular with my 7-8th grade band yet). Assessment just kept getting pushed to the back burner.

My middle school cooperating teacher did a great form of assessment called "solo-tutti." In this arrangement, students alternate between playing an exercise in full ensemble and one student playing as a solo for assessment. There is a specific tempo and procedure, and the process goes on "auto-pilot" so the teacher can assess easily. Students are actively engaged the whole time because they need to make their entrance at the right time. My cooperating teacher did this in sort of a "sniper" style, where she would put kids on the spot, but I like to decide who will go before we begin to make the process a little smoother. The whole band can be assessed on, say, a Bb scale in 3-4 min. a day within a week. Of course, students have to be comfortable playing individually and be quiet as their peers play, but it is a good system for technical exercises with a goal of note accuracy (like scales).

Well, I introduced the idea in class on Friday, expecting a tepid response. Instead, I had students' eyes light up! "Can we play for you one at a time?? Great!" I had more volunteers to go on the first day than we had time for. We started assessment on both Bb and F scales because my students were so pumped about it. Wow, I guess I'm not the only one wishing I could give these students more attention. I thought they acted sullen in my class because they disliked me. And don't get me wrong, I am sure a few of my students don't like me! But I see now that they just want more attention and feedback than they receive in full band, which is exactly what I keep wishing I could give them. Wow! Really hoping that I can get some group lessons going. Have to keep exploring this with my administration over the course of the year. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Emma, great post. I would love to try that assessment method sometime!

    ReplyDelete