Thursday, October 21, 2010

Just play like you used to

In my opinion...advice to all band teachers: If you have time, just play your instrument like you used to before you started teaching. Practice a little bit for the heck of it. :)

I'm currently in a community orchestra in a town nearby where I teach. We aren't professional or super amazing at what we do, but it is really fun to get together with other folks who love music and just play my clarinet. To just be the one sitting and making music directly instead of being in charge for once. It also helps me keep in mind what it feels like to be IN the band so I can relate with my students better in that way.

Just a thought ....as Nick, Glenn, Mary, Emma, and I all prepare to head back to our alma mater this weekend to play in the alumni band for our school's 100th homecoming!



flashback to freshman year with the Chief.....
they must've joined a bunch of different gamedays together in this video because sometimes the alumni band is there and sometimes it's not.....

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting that video, Sara! It is quite a strange mix of videos, I think from different years even.. I even saw a bass drum from Pioneer (my old drum corps..) I guess we borrowed their drums once!

    ReplyDelete