Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Evaluations

Well I'm sure this is a topic that all of the bloggers here will be experiencing sometime if they haven't already. Evaluations. I have my first evaluation by my principal tomorrow. I'm not terribly concerned because he has been dropping in to the classroom already and watching a few minutes of class here and there, and I can usually keep focused without getting too nervous that he's watching me teach. But there is that little part of me that, well, goes back to college and student teaching when I think about getting evaluated tomorrow. I get nervous and start thinking of how disappointing or just plain terrible I might come across to my principal, just like I felt when I used to get evaluated by my professors or cooperating teachers.

I find it difficult to teach when people are just sitting there watching me (I cannot understand how some teachers can handle student teachers just watching and critiquing all the time!!). I start to question everything I'm about to say and it really gets me unfocused and not myself.

To prepare for the evaluation, I had to fill out some paperwork about my lesson objectives, strategies, and plans. Then I had to meet with my principal to discuss them. As frustrated as I felt preparing to fill out those papers, I actually felt a sense of confidence when I was done filling them out. It made me think more about the big picture - the main objectives and goals I need to keep in mind for my band. And it made me feel like a competent teacher when I was writing things like "I will be using informal assessment during this class period by observing and listening to the students," or, "Students will improve their abilities to recognize and perform various rhythmic patterns through the use of rhythm flashcards," or, "Students will develop a better understanding of the importance of having good posture to create a quality tone."

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to just go for it. To act normally (...forget that he's there watching me) and just be the somewhat good teacher I think I can be. I'll let you know how it goes!

---UPDATE---

I just tried to pretend like he wasn't there, haha. I think I did okay. Nothing terrible happened. I'll update you after we meet to discuss the evaluation.

The only time I was really thinking about the fact that he was there was when a student walked up to me right in front of him right at the beginning of band and said "I forgot my snare drum again." (2nd day in a row) And i KNEW my principal would be looking for my response. How was I going to handle the situation??? So I was definitely on the spot. Well, I just went over to my gradebook across the room and said "Look, Billy Bob, this is the 2nd time in two days. And the 5th time this year already. What do you need to do to remind yourself? This is unacceptable so you need to do something to improve it!" I hope that was the right response......

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a good response! Firm, yet helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I'm sure you did great (and I'm not just blowing smoke!). I have my post-conference meeting about my evaluation on Monday. We'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete