Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Power of ETM

ETM. It stands for "Education Through Music." It's difficult to explain, but simple to experience. On the most basic level, it is a philosohpy (i guess) of teaching music that suggests that children must EXPERIENCE a concept before they can EXPLAIN it. It also emphasizes the necessity of meaningful play. Children learn through playing! They are supposed to play! Meaningful play helps children of all ages develop intellectually, emotionally, socially, and even cognitively! ETM provides resources for music teachers to provide students with meaningful music games to help students learn how to sing, keep a beat, interpret lyrics, understand rhythm, and much more while also teaching them how to be confident and caring individuals. It's amazing.

With my jr high, I have not been using ETM as much as I would have liked these past few weeks (my co-op would be ashamed...) I've been so focused on doing other things that i've let it slide a little bit. Well, today, my 6th graders did a LOT of ETM, and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have never seen either group of 6th graders smile so much, work together so well, or sing so loudly. One eleven year old (going on about 35...) was so happy to be the Farmer in "Farmer in the Dell!" I got picked as the "cheese" so she got to be the teacher for a little bit and "turn me into the farmer"... It was the first time that she let me see her softer side. I almost cried.

Anyway, if you have experienced ETM, you can imagine the beauty and the learning that occurred in my classroom today. If you have not, I high recommend looking up ETM online (http://richardsinstitute.org). Check out the video!


What a great experience for me kids today... and the best part was that they were CHOOSING to play this way. ETM was their reward for working hard on our Christmas program song. I gave THEM control over which games we played - and it worked out splendidly.

3 comments:

  1. This post made me sooo happy to see, Mary! I totally just stumbled on this blog tonight through Nick J.'s site. So cool to see ETM spreading! Come visit our course in January!! Happy teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this yet, Mary, thanks for introducing us! (I'm a little jealous that I haven't yet, haha.) I have the page up on one of my tabs and will get familiar with it soon. Have a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn! Come check ETM out in either Champaign or Chicago. If you're in Champaign in January, feel free to email me for dates and location!

    ReplyDelete