Sunday, November 21, 2010

"You Know What's Easy?"

"Nothing."

It's a saying that my parents lovingly said to each other, and still say, when they are faced with challenges of things going wrong. It makes a lot of sense to me now, as I have tried to establish some things at my middle school band program that have been met with some mixed reviews from students and parents. The main thrust of this post will be about my experiences with my attempts to have high standards and a thorough system of accountability, and kids quitting band because of it.

In order to fully grasp this, you need a little background information to set up the stories about quitting: In college, they taught us all these creative, educationally and pedagogically sound ways to enhance band, to make it more than just deficit style teaching. These methods include things like comprehensive musicianship teaching presentations, student centered questioning, and other activities that help students learn and do music that are a bit more than "no, that's wrong, play it again."

A big component of this new way of thinking about band is assessment. We were taught that it is crucial for music education to show that it is a serious, academic subject just like anything else, in order to appease administrators who are looking for evaluation tools, and to advocate for music programs by showing that we are not just an extracurricular, we are a core subject. Music (or band) is not just an activity where students are just given As if they show up. It's a course that requires lots of hard work that can and should be assessed and evaluated. So we have evaluation tools and assessments such as playing tests and practice reports.

I do believe in that, I really do. And as I sat in my undergraduate desk, I was so excited to get out there and give kids that well-rounded, comprehensive music education. Then I got a job, and now I'm trying to make it work, and it is tough (you know what's easy?)

My students, who have never experienced any sort of accountability, responsibility, or assessment, are suddenly getting smacked in the face with all this stuff that I'm introducing to them that I was taught in college. We're doing daily listening logs, playing tests, fingering worksheets, studying the rhythm tree, and other things that are completely foreign to them. They are used to barely scraping by at a sub-mediocre level, and the director singing their parts at them enough times to essentially memorize the few songs they are working on. They aren't used to being asked to figure things out for themselves, to work hard, and be held accountable for their playing. You've probably read me say that enough times now over the past few months.

The thing that really worked against me was, with all these assessments, some kids' grades suffered, because they turned in hardly any practice reports, if any, put forth no effort on listening log answers, and did not prepare at all for playing tests. But they idea that they are ingrained with is that you just get an A in band, right? That's what my they thought, that's what the parents thought, and that is naively not what I thought. I still believe in a band program based on comprehensive musicianship, assessment, and the like, but I made a big mistake in thinking it would work flawlessly from day one. It's something you have to build up and do piece by piece. I still think it was ok to do for me to start some of these new things, but I shouldn't have made it impact grades so severely from the beginning.

Because I had a bit of a revolution on my hands. Around progress report time, I heard rumblings about students quitting. I talked with some upset parents and some upset 8th graders about why their mid-term grade was what it was and how they can pick it up. Many of them did not make that effort, and when report cards came out, many students had earned Ds and Cs, which was the coup d'grace of their band careers. The best musician in the band quit, the worst behavior problem in the band quit (hallelujah?), and another 8th grader. Morale was low, from both me and the band.

I began to see that I made a real mistake. I still believed in the changes I was making, but I did not implement them in a way that would make the transition feasible for many of my students. After 3 years of a totally different system, they were unable and unwilling to jump into mine, baptism-by-fire style. So I carefully amended many grades, raising Ds to Cs and Cs to Bs, all the while trying to not compromise the solid A that most students earned. But it was too late. How could I slap my kids in the face with this new system, give them Ds and Cs for it, and then expect them to stay in this elective?

As I write this, I realize that the essence of my problem is that I am trying hard to find that balance of fun and high standards/accountability. They can coexist. They should. Some of my students don't know it yet. It's not fun to be lost every time you come to band. But it's also not fun to see a bar set too high for where the students are at this point. They weren't ready, and I just didn't realize it.

How can I create a fun, healthy, safe educational environment where standards are high and there are many systems of accountability without students feeling constantly pressured? I want the best for them. I want them to learn a ton and perform well, all the while having fun. Any teachers or anybody out there, how do you inspire and motivate your students to work hard to meet high standards while making it fun and achievable? This may be a dilemma that is solved with time, as the rebellious 8th graders are phased out, and my own kids are raised up through the program.

That's the perfect plan to turn things around, isn't it? Do as much as you can with the kids you inherited and then grow some super players who love band, love working hard, love music, and don't want to disappoint you. But then again, you know what's easy?

More on the subject of 5th grade band and motivation in the weeks to come!

4 comments:

  1. Glenn, you are not alone here! I completely understand your struggle. My wonderful, lovably nerdy high school band director is currently doing his doctoral thesis on, GUESS WHAT, comprehensive musicianship. So, I was steeped in a fabulously comprehensive high school program from the get go. I buy into many of the same core values, including comprehensive musicianship, assessment, questioning, etc.

    I am carefully integrating small aspects of this approach into my program, and they are meeting some resistance too. I feel as though I have been ramping up a little too slowly for my taste. I am anxious that my middle school grades do not have enough of a numeric basis yet. It's tricky! I think one of my biggest (albeit clichéd) discoveries this year has been that you really do have to BUILD a program. I never understood that phrase before.

    But! I know you have the integrity to stick to your beliefs, and it sounds like you have a great sense of the big picture. Just keep chopping away at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a freshman when my high school choir director started the first year. He followed a director that was mediocre at best, and had to make a lot of changes to turn the program around.
    Your story sounds familiar-I remember him struggling a lot with the seniors, who didn't like change. Now, the program is completely turned around and the high school has one of the best choir programs out there.
    So don't lose hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn, I totally understand! This is probably the most repetitive and annoying advice anyone could give, but all I can say is just stick with it! I always have to remind myself to make sure that the standards I set for my students are not only challenging and help them become better musicians, but are also almost immediately attainable. This is frustrating for me most of the time because I don't feel like I'm really holding them accountable at all when I compare it to what I know they are actually capable of. For example, I still don't understand what is so difficult about the chromatic scale...let's not go there. Anyway. The kids have to feel success, and it absolutely cannot be superficial. This "baby step" method has worked pretty well for me so far. It is not perfect though-not perfect at all. It doesn't totally align with my values as an educator or as a musician yet. BUT, the kids are learning most of the time. We are gradually improving, and the standard is inching its way up to where it should be. And, my students really seem to get it after a year and half of me trying to sell it to them. They don't really understand how big the discrepancy is between how things are and how they should be, but they are more than willing to push until we get there because they are starting to understand how high standards and fun actually do go together. At this rate, all should be right with the world in about 10-15 years... so slow down for now, and don't lose sight of how you want it to be. With time and luck, it will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenn-

    I'm glad you're writing my biography here. It saves me a lot of time.

    I have reached a similar point with my students, although it best manifests itself in another area: my choice of literature. My undergrad profs preached "quality literature" ad nauseum, as they well should. So for our first concert, I perform a few very accessible, educationally sound pieces that I very much enjoyed playing in my past. I had some pretty offensive reactions from (adjective) seniors.

    We played Frank Ticheli's "An American Elegy". That's one of my all time favorites. It's a really great level 4 piece of music, but they had never really played anything that didn't "have a good beat" (one of my all time least favorite phrases in music). We also played some music from movies, at their request (Disney/Pixar's Up), and some other things.

    Funny, the thing that everyone at the concert enjoyed most was an archaic arrangement of Prokofiev's "Troika" from the Lt. Kije Suite. The kids kept telling me things like:
    "I hate this music"
    "This music sucks"
    "Can't we play something fun?"
    "This is boring"
    "I hate this one"
    etc.

    Very disheartening. However, when you're stepping into a new role, do you choose the most demanding music? Of course not!

    Anyway, the moral of the story is that I have made choices that I whole-heartedly believed in, and I will be using similar but tweaked criteria when picking literature from now on.

    I feel like you're in the same boat; you're doing what seems like the best idea, and a few years from now, it won't be questioned at all. It's tough to change habits... but, like I tell my 5th graders, when they graduate in 2018, we're going to have something special :)

    ReplyDelete