Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Up to my neck in papers and websites...

Hey all, Mary here...

One of the unique challenges of working in a private school is the lack of a set district curriculum for music. I'm not sure if that is the same everywhere, but for me, I'm pretty much on my own. I know that I need something set and extremely organized. I'm teaching 10 grade levels -If it's not written down how to sequence things and when to teach what, I'm going to be lost. It's really a daunting task! Luckily, I have collected a lot of curriculum info, now I am just sorting through... how is my curriculum going to be different than the ones I experienced in unit 4? What do other districts have that I think would be useful to include? What are the most important things for my students to learn? Lots of questions... I have Kindergarten and 1st grade pretty much done, although I acknowledge that anything I write up now is going to to change, and maybe change drastically when I actually am working with the kids and know fully what resources I have. At least I feel organized. I must say, even though sorting through all the different websites and papers is overwhelming, I am really enjoying it! It's fun to see my classroom take shape in my head. I'm excited for all the things that my students will learn, and I'm excited to create lessons plans to encourage that learning! (We'll see how long this zeal lasts...)

In other news, Not only am I planning my curriculum, but I am also packing boxes. I'm pretty much set to move to Springfield on the 15th of July. 8 days from today. Once I get there, I will continue working on curriculum while setting up my apartment AND my classroom. I am so ready! (freaked out and a little stressed, but excited and ready!)

Well, time to get back to work. Here's to a years worth of funny stories, concerns, and advice from the three of us! I'm excited to see this blog develop!!

~Mary

1 comment:

  1. nice job getting a jumpstart on your curriculum! once you get to 5th/6th grade....keep me updated. :) i will be starting all of that soon and needing your help!

    ReplyDelete