Friday, September 17, 2010

Rough Draft

I have been tremendously fortunate to have had wonderful veteran teachers in my life. In fact, I was just telling a friend of mine from my hometown that I had never had a first year teacher in all my years of public school. Kinda crazy. I remember student teachers, but no new teachers. As a result, it is hard for me to know what people expect of young teachers; it can be really stressful. I don't like to make excuses or settle for less than my best, but I don't want to burn out either. Especially as the only band teacher in my district, I don't have a sense of "normal."

This week while journaling, I had a nice thought that I wanted to share:

"Next year will be easier. I will have a place to go from. This is the first draft. It will be rough, it will have mistakes, but it will hang together. The big picture will be there. And I have the rest of my career to revise it."

I had a good week this week. I really felt like I turned a corner with this idea of a "rough draft." It's not like college. You don't get graded every time you teach. You just do your best. And if it doesn't work out, you do it better tomorrow. Sweet.

Okay, this post is kinda mushy/serious. Here's a silly kid quote:

Me: Great, band. Wunderbar!
6th Grade Band: huh? What? What's that mean? Is that German? My last name is German! Metzger means butcher!
Particularly loud sixth grade boy: It means testicle!!
::ALARMED TEACHER FACE. I collect myself.::
Me: Excuse me Tyler, what did you say?
Tyler: Fantastical! It means fantastical!
Me: ::sigh of relief:: Yes, that's a great translation!

One month down!

No comments:

Post a Comment