Tuesday, September 28, 2010

the Future

So things at the high school have been going well overall the last week or so. Classes are productive (usually!), I'm building some rapport with the students and late nights are less late. Joining a gym, catching up on fresh cooking, and some lull time in the marching band schedule have helped also.

However, I cannot help but worry about my instrumentation situation, especially for next year. Let me lay it out. In my top group I am sufficient in flutes, clarinets and saxophones (of course). However after this coming graduation, the only things left in the way of brass will be one trumpet, one horn, and one baritone. The freshmen level band only now has flutes, clarinets, alto saxophones, and two trumpets, so that is all I will be able to promote. I am not sure yet what will be coming up from the feeders for next year.

What bothers me most is that I feel powerless. I am totally up for the extra work of rewriting parts and carefully selecting repertoire. But I feel that in this coming scenario that may not get me far enough. I am also not sure how or when to approach students about switching instruments. I am also wondering how to approach my feeders about how we can work together to have proper instrumentation in the community's music groups.

I do not mean to complain or to sound overly bleak. However I am looking for some creative solutions and ideas towards mending this situation. What I really want is to provide my students with the experience of a characteristic band sound, and a shot at repertoire with diverse sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment