Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Warm Fuzzy

Like many of my "Don't Smile" colleagues, I have a snow day today. This is my second snow day in a row and my fourth snow day this school year. Apparently they just hand them out like candy in our part of the country! Unfortunately, my beginning band's first concert was scheduled for yesterday (Tuesday the 11th). We postponed to today, the 12th, and now I have had to "post-postpone" to the 19th! This time of year is really tough for scheduling because junior high volleyball, high school basketball, and other community events are competing for space in the gym. The schools try to avoid Wednesday nights because the local church has youth group activities on Wednesday. The situation is not ideal, and I know some students may not be able to make the concert.

I just received a very kind email from a band parent, however, that made me feel much better. Somebody out there "gets it." Just when I was feeling like I am totally alone with this program, I got sent a warm fuzzy that will keep me in a good mood for this whole snow day (names removed):

Thank you for the updates, Ms. [Emma]. We are really looking forward to hearing the kids play their instruments. Thanks for all the work you have put into teaching them the basics. We will be sure to have [our daughter] at the concert but our hope is that the schools try to stay away from scheduling things on Wednesday evenings as this is a night for church activities. We realize that this was not your first pick either and that sometimes you have to go with the flow. Thanks again for all you do to share music.
[Awesome Band Parent]

This is a great family, and their daughter is coming along very well on clarinet. Somehow it always seems that just when I am beginning to despair about certain aspects of the job, I am reminded of why I do what I do. There are people on my side who will give me the benefit of the doubt. I hope that everyone has a great snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment