Saturday, January 8, 2011

Connecting

Overall, I feel like I have a pretty good rapport with students. I have some inside jokes, and I can get their attention. I am starting to get through. The other day, however, I noticed something. With my beginning band students, most of the highest achievers are female. So are most of the students who stay after school to practice (save one little boy who plays tuba, love that kid). I have three male students dropping high school band for second semester (and no female students). I don't consider myself to be extremely "girly," but it seems like I am not connecting to male students as well as female students. Granted, as a young female teacher, (and in light of recent news stories), I am careful about being too close to students and maintaining boundaries. I suppose, like many other things, it is a question of balance.

So why is this happening? The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with how I come off to students. I joke that my teacher personality is "Band Director Barbie." I believe in positive reinforcement, and saving negative energy for serious offenses. Being a positive role model for young girls and women is something that I'm really interested in... but what about all those male students? It's like some sort of reverse gender-stereotyping. Anyway, does anyone have similar experiences connecting to students? Suggestions? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

2 comments:

  1. Emma,

    Once again we are in the same boat... I've got a great thing going with my middle school girls- they are excited to be involved! But connecting with the boys is like pulling teeth! I think it's important for us to continue being ourselves - our girls really DO need strong positive female role models in their lives... and I think the main reason that we are connecting so well to our girls is just like you said - we are young female teachers. We're relatable. I'm not saying we should give up on the boys.. I'm wondering if the difference we are noticing in enthusiasm between boys and girls is simply a natural difference between boys and girls. Girls feel (relatively) comfortable relating with both male and female teachers, but I think boys have a difficult time relating with female teachers. I don't know any answers, I'm really just thinking as I type.
    Have you thought about giving your classes a short survey as to how things are going? The typical "What have you liked about band?" "What have you not liked about band?" "What would YOU change about band this year?" "What do you want to learn?" type of questions... I did it with my 7th-8th grades and really got some great feedback from all my students. It helped me get a little insight into my boys - and maybe it will help you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, my teacher twin! I tend to give a lot of surveys (after concerts especially), so I don't want my kids to get "surveyed-out." I definitely appreciate the suggestion though. I think you're right. Maybe it will just take some time for the boys to find ways to "get me." As much as I try to be "student-centered," I think I need to accept that you can't reach everyone all the time. We'll see, maybe things will change over time.

    ReplyDelete