Sunday, January 30, 2011

Building a Program

I just came back from the All-State Music Educators' Conference. After hearing phenomenal performing groups and attending some insightful clinics, I definitely feel ready to "go at it" with fresh motivation. Of course, I haven't been back to school yet. I am definitely concerned that I will go back tomorrow and feel mired down by the challenges of my program. So many of the improvements that need to occur are long-range processes that involve a great deal of planning, purchasing, or just time. I want to do good, but there are so many different projects that I could pursue. I'm struggling with focusing my efforts. Building a program takes a lot of time and patience, and I want to sustain that positive energy I gained from attending the conference.

I think that maybe I need to find some small "instant gratification" projects first to ride my "professional development high." Here are a few "mini-projects" I have thought of that will show immediate results:

1. Order some necessary music/supplies
Conquering a paperwork obstacle is always a good feeling. I know I will feel better when I have a few warm-ups/chorales in the library and get my repertoire squared away.

2. Finish moving into my office
I still don't have any photos or personal books/resources at school. I still need to build up some "emergency supplies" too, like a first-aid kit, emergency money, a ready supply of necessary school forms, spare makeup, etc. With everything else going on and working in two buildings at the start of the year, I just haven't had a chance to make my workplace comfortable.

3. Arrange another pep band tune
This is something I can do quickly and easily, and it's fun! Plus, it's great to see the kids get excited about new tunes. It keeps pep band fresh even though the season is almost over.

Is anyone else having a similar post-conference reaction? Is anyone embarking on a new project/new teaching approach as a result of something you saw or heard at the conference? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Emma,

    I was unable to make it to All-State this year but had a similar "post-conference reaction" from a Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser workshop not too long ago. I just have to say that Dr. Tim is a wonderful person with a true passion for teaching and I highly recommend his workshops if you ever get the opportunity. I have been to three(?) and he always has new material, fresh ideas, and great insights into the profession.
    At this particular workshop, he talked a lot about taking your knowledge and skills and truly applying yourself to your students education. I think you have a good idea in doing some little things to build success and a sense of accomplishment. I understand how frightening it can be when there is SO much that needs to be done and (of course) never enough time to do it. The little accomplishments will definitely help with motivation. In dealing with bigger projects, I find that setting hard deadlines for yourself is the best option. I've been able to finish some pretty daunting projects a lot faster than anticipated just by working on it bit by bit and sticking to my deadlines no matter what.

    This goes along with another topic Dr. Tim talked about. He stressed the importance of challenging yourself to step out of your comfort zone, take risks, and not be afraid of failure. My biggest step out of the comfort zone was beginning to record some of my lessons again just to reflect on some teaching episodes. Yes, it takes time but it has been completely worth every second and I suggest everybody try it. Especially when trying a new approach/lesson/strategy this self-reflection has been absolutely wonderful. It offers you a chance to really focus on your effectiveness as a teacher and just hone your craft a little bit more every time.

    On a side note, this blog rocks my socks. I'm glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,
    Thanks for your insightful comment! The self-imposed deadlines idea is a good one. I set some short-term deadlines on handouts and other paperwork for myself today after reading your post. I'm great with deadlines when I'm a student, but as a teacher... can't it wait another week?

    I hope to get back to recording my lessons too. I don't know if I'm ready just yet, but I think when I start year two and have a better plan, I'll want to focus back in. Who knows, I may even throw some of the video up here and embarrass myself. :-P

    ReplyDelete