Saturday, May 28, 2011

School is out!


I am no longer a first year teacher! However, I plan to continue blogging here for sure.  The others? I don't know. I hope so too. ;)

And so... summer has arrived.  Now begins the best part of being a teacher. haha!  Summer vacation is a time to reflect, relax, finally see family and friends, and, of course, prepare to do this teaching thing all over again in 2 months!

I am looking forward to having the time to sit down and thoroughly prepare for next year.  But the question that haunts me whenever I think about this is "where do I begin?"  There is so much I'm going to need to get ready now that I will be teaching two new classes and three times as many kids in 5/6 band.  I have to prepare to teach some 120 5/6th grade band students, 20-30 jr. high choir students, and 50-60 high school choir students.  Oh yeah, and I have to pick and plan a musical.  *gulp*   (I'm really looking forward to all of this though - seriously!)

I think I'm going to start preparing for next year by reading through "First Days of School" by Harry Wong again (and then making a TON of lists.)  It covers so much and will help me focus in on what needs to be done right away.  Also, I think it will be a good way for me to reflect on how I did this past year in terms of discipline, classroom management, organization, motivation/inspiration, etc.

All in all though... it was a very fun and successful first year.  I hope I had a good impact on my students.  This year had its difficult moments for sure, but I feel very blessed to have experienced my first year in such a wonderful district and with such wonderful students and colleagues. (I'm talking about YOU, first year teachers!)

Congratulations on finishing up your first year of teaching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment